Thursday 18 December 2014

Palet Breton


First thing first I am feeling so sorry I haven't update my blog nearly a whole yearrrrr!  My job is very busy, family....... and I virtually have no time to bake at all until now.  My apologies :(  It seems to me that I have to start everything about pastry and my blog all over again.... feeling a bit rusty!  So let me start with something easy, simple and most important.... super yummy! Palet Breton just come out of my mind instantly.... simple to make, rich, a bit crunchy, smell so great and I can always eat few in a row without guilt, let's get started!

for a batch of Palet Breton (roughly a dozen), you need...
  • 160 g sugar
  • 220 g all purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • three egg yolks
  • 1/2 teaspoon of salt
  • 140 g unsalted butter (room temperature)
  • egg wash
  • l teaspoon rum or liqueur of your choice like Chambord or Cassis
Tasty Palet Bretons are quite easy to make, just a few simple steps and we are done, the only special equipment you need are tart rings. I use stainless steel ones with a size about 80mm in diameter. Its always handy to have a few for tarts, cookies, molds.... Steps of making this wonderful dough...

my directions...
  • firstly, beat egg yolks with sugar together
  • add butter and beat until fluffy
  • sift flour and add salt and baking powder into your fluffy mixture
  • fold until your mixture is homogeneous
  • fold in rum or liqueur 
  • gather your mixture into a big fat disc, wrap it with film and refrigerate till next day

A day's over and next day already :) Firstly, take your dough out from your fridge couple hours before baking and pre-heat your oven to 325F. Have your tart rings ready, divide your dough into 12 equal pieces, roll them into balls and place them into tart rings.  Then use your fingers to flatten them into a disc within tart rings, roughly 1/2 inches thick.  Make sure they are completely flat so they can bake happily!

Now, we can use a pastry brush and paint your palets with some egg wash and score some crisscross pattern with a fork. Wow, they look amazing and ready to be baked!  Bake them in your pre-heated oven for about 15-20 minutes until they become golden....hmm, time to make coffee now!
I can smell a fantastic aroma in my kitchen... hmm smell so good... Can't wait to see these cuties and they are ready in no time. I let them rest inside tart rings for a while first, although I really want to taste a bite rightaway. However, its important to let them rest so they won't break, but at least I can enjoy their amazing colour for now!
  
Finally, after some resting they will shrink a tiny bit and its time to let them out! I should let these little treats rest a bit longer on a rack until they cool completely, but I can't wait and have to try a bite. Hmm... a bit crunchy, rich, buttery, taste so good with my coffee. One is definitely not enough and I had two so far haha!  I save the rest in airtight container and probably they will all vanish in a couple days!!


Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment